In our Ouarzaate and Ait Benhaddou from Marrakech day trip visit two of Morocco’s most famous kasbahs.
Drive through the Atlas Mountains, passing Berber villages, to reach the ruins of the Telouet Kasbah which once belonged to the Pacha of the Atlas. Then, move on to Ait Benhaddou, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that has served as the background of many Hollywood blockbusters, to learn about its rich history from your guide. Explore Telouet and Ait Benhaddou on a day trip from Marrakesh Learn about the histories of these once-important Kasbahs See where films and shows like ‘Game of Thrones’ were filmed Enjoy a personalized experience.
Destination: Ait Benhaddou & Ouarzazate
Duration: 1 day
Pick up: at your hotel or riad in Marrakech*
* Please note: if your hotel/riad is located in the medina, the car will take place in an accessible place, as close as possible to your riad or hotel.
- Drive along the High Atlas Mountains and Tizi n Tichka
- Cross the Mountain Berber villages and enjoy the beautiful nature
- Guided tour in Kasbah Ait Benhaddou
- Visit Ouarzazate with its film studio
- Kasbah Taourirt
This experience begins early as we will be leaving Marrakech before 8.00 am and our drive will then take us across the High Atlas Mountains.
The rugged beauty and height of these peaks will have you glued to the window in our minibus as we snake through the mountain roads.
There are several small Berber villages along the route and we will get a chance to stop a take some photographs of the elevated scenery before making our way to the Kasbah Ait Benhaddou. It will be another couple of hours before we reach here but the scenery will remain stunning throughout.
The Kasbah Ait Benhaddou is a fortified village which holds about half a dozen market areas and merchant houses. Our tour around this old building will be guided. Like Ouarzazate – which will be the next stop on this tour – Kasbah Ait Benhaddou is a very popular location for Hollywood film crews and production companies.
You will see exactly why it makes a great setting for a number of films set in biblical times, ancient Arabic legend or movies set thousands of year ago. Sodom and Gomorrah (1963), The Man Who Would Be King (1975) and The Jewel of the Nile (1985) all made use of the ancient fortified village here at Kasbah Ait Benhaddou.
Our day of adventure then moves onto Ouarzazate, where we’ll tour around this city and see the film studios. Ouarzazate is a much-loved location by film production, many of whom specifically come here because of the ancient buildings, golden landscapes and stunning scenery. One feels as though you have taken a trip back in time as you explore the ancient Kasbahs, golden clay buildings and don’t be surprised to see a Hollywood film crew shooting a movie here.
Some of the blockbuster movies shot in this location include the Bond classic Living Daylights (1987), Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and The Last Temptation of Christ (1988).
Visit of Ait Benhaddou kasbah
Visit to filmstudios in Ourzazate
Pass along Tizi n Ticka
Round-trip transport in a climate-controlled minibus
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- English speaking driver
Good to Know Before You Go
- We recommend to take Dramamine (motion sickness medication) prior to the ride, as the curvy mountain roads can definitely cause motion sickness.
- The kasbah (Ait Ben Haddou) has a beautiful view at the top, yet I would recommend a hat and sunscreen as it gets very hot during the time which you arrive at the kasbah.
- This trip is about 4 hours each way but the drive is every bit worth it.
Discover More of Morocco
If you want to book this trip, please use the form on the right or send us an email with the following information:
- Your first and last name
- Name of the tours(s) you want to take
- Date of each tour (when you want to start)
- Name and address of your Marrakech hotel (for pick-up in the morning)
- Number of adult participants
- Number of children under 12 (if any)
- Any further information you want to share with us
+212 671 170 034
Contact us and all you have to do is dream.
We’ve got plan for you and any dream will do.